Love Conquers All

I watched Roman Holiday a few days ago.  You know the black and white romantic comedy classic, with shining star Audrey Hepburn and the impressive Gregory Peck (you have to say his name in a bass voice).  I'd seen it before, but this time, I can't help but be so sad a the end.  I mean, we know from the beginning that she's a princess.  And a princess and a reporter could never get together.  But there is still something terrible that happens within me, a heartache, a longing when Audrey Hepburn puts on her stony regal face and chooses duty over love.  Shouldn't love conquer all?  I am such a hopeful (not hopeless) romantic, that I have to rewrite the ending to the movie, where she abdicates and lives a humbler, yet happier life as a struggling reporter's wife.   They'd have to be happy.  Love has to conquer all.  To you, what is more satisfying ending to a movie or a novel?  Realistic endings?  Or romantic ones where the two lovers live out their destinies together?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tips for Fighting Discouragement

Spring Break Bookaplaooza book feature

At what point do you call yourself a writer?