Who is my audience?

The ideas that are coming to me now are for an older audience than YA. The last few stories I have written deal with gals in their young twenties experiencing adult life for the first time. Why do I write about this age group? Those early years of finding out who I was in the world were so deliciously fun for me. I had so many options in love, career etc. And I hadn't made any huge mistakes, so I wasn't burdened by regret. That's an exciting time. I want my protagonists to also have more opportunities to do things that girls in YA just can't do--move away and live in a foreign country all by themselves, for example.

What I worry about writing for this audience is that girls ages 18-20 are living life, they don't want to read about it. I remember being that age and having my own experiences with love, real love, not just high school crushes. There was no way I wanted to read a book about someone else falling in love at that point in time. The story I was living was much more dramatic and exciting. We don't tend to read in the stage that we are at.

I guess that's one reason that right now, I don't read stories about stay-at-home-moms who are looking to find themselves. I'm living the dream right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tips for Fighting Discouragement

Spring Break Bookaplaooza book feature

At what point do you call yourself a writer?