Clean Young Adult Fantasy

 Why I write clean Young Adult Fantasy


First off, I love teenagers. I connect with that age group. I feel like I'm still seventeen sometimes. I want to write books that will benefit them, give them hope, courage, and comfort. I want to write books that my kids can read and enjoy. 


When I was younger, I would lose myself for hours reading the most fantastical books of the day. I loved how fantasy books could take me to another world, explore topics in a way that couldn't be done here in a contemporary setting, and could talk about good versus evil in a fantasy context. I loved the creativity of these writers, the worlds and characters they come up with and the conflicts!


I want to bring that to you! Fantasy has had a resurgence in the last few years, especially the popular romantasy. If you aren't familiar with the term, it's basically romance genre smashed with fantasy. I love it! What a time to live! I tell you, I was born to write romantasy. But the problem is, what I find is that the romantasy genre is filled with dark characters and plots, spicy scenes, and well, plot lines I'm not comfortable reading. 


So why Young Adult fantasy? I believe that we should have good, moral, fun, and creative stories that don't involve what we in the industry call spice or heat. Teenagers have enough temptation in their life that I don't need to add to it. I want to help them to choose good over evil. And we need more clean stuff. There's a lot of books in the Young Adult category that I feel are more like New Adult--the themes, the characters, the choices they have to make seem way older to me than the 13-18 age group. I just want to write books for those who read YA fantasy and who don't want to read the spice, the older themes, and characters and who just want to have a fun romp! 


So join me on my fun Young Adult fantasy adventure!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tips for Fighting Discouragement

Spring Break Bookaplaooza book feature

At what point do you call yourself a writer?