My first rejection

I didn't tell anyone I was sending in a query. I didn't have time to. It came back within 24 hours and I was grateful! It was a very polite rejection letter, just in case you didn't catch the title and I was holding you in suspense. Now, looking over my query, it needs to be tighter. I've been researching agents and it's nice to know what doesn't appeal to one, may appeal to another.

I may shelve it for a while and then see what it looks like. I might try one more cast before I store it.

Also, someone was complaining about how authors are treated so poorly in the publishing industry, even though writers provide the fodder to sell. I pondered that for a while. It seems to me, that's true of many industries. Take fishing. The fishermen are the lowest ones on the totem pole and the chefs, the ones that prepare the fish and distribute it, are the ones with all the glory, calling the shots etc. Well, writers are like the fishermen. The industry couldn't survive without us, but it's not a glorious job. Happy fishing!

Comments

  1. Rejections. Life is about this I think. But usually they at least give you something to learn. My latest paper was recently rejected and so was our grant. In the field of science this happens so much, we rarely get depressed about it anymore. Just broody =) Someone is going to like that book. The idea was original and I thought it was pretty much a page turner, YA fiction all the way. I would buy it, and I hate spending money! Good luck with your next queries, let me know if you ever want me to read something again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to take a peak at what I sent the good professor, I can get you another copy. It's much improved since that first draft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read it again. You can just email it this time if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tips for Fighting Discouragement

Spring Break Bookaplaooza book feature

At what point do you call yourself a writer?