My rebellious streak...

I have a little bit of a rebellious streak. Not against God or authority or anything important. Mostly against social trends. Like when I was in high school, whatever was popular, I would do the opposite. Don't think that this is going to be a confession of epic proportions of all the shenanigans I pulled in my youth. Far from it. In fact, my rebelliousness tends to be the opposite. I go against the popular grain.

This is great if you go to a crazy high school that had one of the highest drug and weapon confiscation rates in the state. It is not, however, great for writing.

Because, you see, the same repulsion I have toward the trendy clothes, the trendy cups, the trendy water (in middle school everyone drank Evian,) etc. etc. carries through. I CANNOT write what everyone else is writing. It's in my nature. Authors are writing hockey romance because it's trending. I shrug my shoulders. Vampires in the early 2010s. Meh. 

And that's a good thing. Those trend-chasers make a lot of money. I see them. They are good at what they do. I don't knock how they run their author business. Quite frankly I'm jealous of how they can spot and follow a trend so quickly. It's just not something that's in my personality. I wish it were.

I like to follow my own path. So if it's billionaire books, I'm going to put my own twist to it. If it's vampires, I have my own set of rules. It's a great asset to have as a writer, to be able to do your own thing. Most other greats did their own thing, but that means that success is much longer in coming. People want to see authors make a ton of cash. They want to believe in the dream that you can create something and your audience will come running. That only happens to trend-chasers. When you're like me, when you blaze your own path, your audience is curated, developed, nurtured one reader at a time. I form connections. I want your brand loyalty and friendship not so much your money. Money is a byproduct of creating something that will wow you. If I haven't done that, then I haven't done my job well enough.


What kind of reader are you? Do you read what's trending or do you read with a rebellious streak, too? If you are, then we need to be friends. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tips for Fighting Discouragement

Spring Break Bookaplaooza book feature

At what point do you call yourself a writer?