Conference Tips!



I just returned from the Georgia Romance Writer's Conference, Moonlight and Magnolias. I enjoyed basking in the glow of other writer's talent. It was an amazing experience. I thought I'd write some things I learned about going to a Conference.

1). Volunteer. Conferences take a lot of man (woman) power. I always sign up to volunteer to do something. It's a great way to get involved and to make friends.

2.) Be friendly and ask questions. I always assume that everyone there knows more than I do about writing, about publishing, about life. I want to soak up as much as I can. I like to ask questions and get to know people. And not just the writers and editors. I made friends with the lady in housekeeping and she bought my book.

3.) Networking. I picked this conference because I knew some of the other writers plus my editor would be at this conference. (That and I had tickets and a deadline!)

4.) Workshops. I've been struggling with a certain writing flaw and I went a workshop where they talked about the very thing missing from my writing. The information alone was worth all the time, effort and money I put into the Conference. Attend workshops!!!

5.) Dress comfortably and appropriately. It was FREEZING in those huge halls. I wore long sleeves and sweaters and still had to drink hot water to keep from slipping into early stages of hypothermia.

I had a great time, I made some friends. I heard some amazing speakings, writers and industry professionals. I was inspired. I felt validated. I felt understood. It gave me courage to continue writing.

What tips would you add?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tips for Fighting Discouragement

Spring Break Bookaplaooza book feature

At what point do you call yourself a writer?