FableHaven

I just finished book four of Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. I'll have to say, the first one started a little slow. My hubby read most of it out loud to my six and three year old. I admit, I got a little bored. Toward the end, it started getting my attention. We checked out the second book from the library and I was hooked. Well written, but also imaginative. It's like there's a fourth grade boy stuck inside the adult body of Brandon Mull. I liked being surprised, amused, amazed and transported to a whole other world. So far the third book is my favorite, the working against the clock makes a great page-turner. Finished the fourth book last night, as I said. My hubby did too, then today he ran out and bought the fifth one and is reading it right now. Who says independent reader books are just for kids?

As a writer what did I learn from Brandon Mull. Well, I learned that I need to be more creative with my plots and characters. At each page turn, I was amazed at the scenarios he came up with, the conflicts, the resolutions. I loved how he revealed, dug deeper, had more secrets, more details, more complexity. Fun to read. What I liked about his books as opposed to say, Harry Potter books, which were also filled with creativity, I found Brandon Mull's character Seth, though constantly disobeying the rules, there stood consequences and results instead of excuses because of being the famous Harry Potter. Quite refreshing, more realistic and instructive.

Anyway, I recommend them. If I can wrench my hubby away from the fifth book, I'd like to start reading it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tips for Fighting Discouragement

Spring Break Bookaplaooza book feature

At what point do you call yourself a writer?